Monday, April 2, 2012

Monday Mail Out: The Postcrossing Project.

[Postcards]


After much deliberation (Will I use it often enough? How much do I enjoy sending postcards to complete strangers and receiving the same? Is it going to cost me an absolute fortune?), I have finally created a Postcrossing account and mailed out my first postcard.

Postcrossing is a fascinating online project perfectly suited for those who love to send and receive mail the old fashioned way. Anyone of any age can take part and your participation in the project continues for as long as you want it to. 


[Requesting my first postcard recipient at Postcrossing]


The concept is fairly straight-forward: If you send a postcard you will get a postcard in return.
Part of the surprise is where a postcard will come from, since it is completely random.
Each card sent/received is registered and every member keeps statistics, so you can see who is getting what the whole world over.
You can use it as much (or as little) as you like, which is great for people on a budget.
It's ridiculously uncomplicated. I think it'd be an interesting way to teach children about the world and all the different people in it (for all those parents out there).

In fact, it is so uncomplicated that I don't know why it has taken me so long to join.



Written correspondence has been a hobby of mine for a long time, & Monday Mail Out is a weekly feature whereby I can share my love for the lost art of letter writing. I hope my experiences will encourage others to send out letters on Monday too, and have them rediscover the joy of sending and receiving mail. If you have a blog, feel free to join in.

2 comments:

  1. I think this would be a good idea for schools. It would be a great learning tool. Have fun with it

    Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with postcrossing :) I'm having so much fan with it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!